Story: Horse and greyhound racing

Whanganui racecourse development

The racecourse at Whanganui is shown in the 1870s or 1880s (top) and about 1910 (bottom). In the interval between the two photos, facilities were developed considerably, with two large covered grandstands by 1910. The crowd, too, had grown in size.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/4-017104-G (top)
Photographs by William James Harding (top); Frank J. Denton (bottom)

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Mary Mountier, 'Horse and greyhound racing - Racing clubs', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/zoomify/38941/whanganui-racecourse-development (accessed 23 April 2019)

Story by Mary Mountier, published 5 Sep 2013, updated 4 Nov 2015