New Zealand’s first provinces were established under the 1846 constitution. There were just two – New Ulster, which took in most of the North Island, and New Munster, which included Wellington and the whole of the South Island. Lieutenant Colonel Edward John Eyre was appointed lieutenant governor of New Munster in 1846. Eyre’s tenure in the position was not successful as he and Governor George Grey did not get on. Under the 1852 constitution appointed lieutenant governors were replaced by elected superintendents, who retained many of the responsibilities of lieutenant governors.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: NM6 2 / 2
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence