In 1903 the settlements of Kāwhia, Ōtorohanga, Te Kūiti and Taumarunui were designated native townships. This allowed the government to proclaim new towns on Māori land and make sections available to European settlers, thus speeding up the rate of settlement even though the sections were not freehold. From 1910 town sections could be sold.
This is the map of Ōtorohanga native township produced to publicise the sections available for lease in 1904. Zoom in for details of leases and street names, which commemorate important Ngāti Maniapoto leaders and ancestors as well as notable Pākehā figures of the day.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Reference: NZ Map 3687
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.