Zoom in to see details of this document.
From 1865 to 1873 certificates of title for Māori land listed no more than 10 owners. From 1873 all owners were listed. This meant that some land blocks ended up having hundreds or even thousands of owners, particularly after those first listed on the title died and passed their shares to descendants. This title for D'Urville Island (Rangitoto ki te tonga) and nearby islets was issued in 1883. Read more about the Māori Land Court.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.