Story: Missions and missionaries

Grant of land at Kerikeri

This 1819 deed is the first legal document recording a transfer of land in New Zealand. It shows that land at 'Kiddee Kiddee' (later spelled Kerikeri) was sold to the missionaries in return for 'Forty Eight Falling Axes'. The deed is signed by Thomas Kendall and John Butler of the Church Missionary Society, and with the moko (facial tattoos) of Ngāpuhi chiefs Hongi Hika and Rewa.

Using this item

Hocken Library, University of Otago
Reference: S08-122 - MS-0070/A

Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Peter J. Lineham, 'Missions and missionaries - First missionaries', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/zoomify/27994/grant-of-land-at-kerikeri (accessed 7 August 2020)

Story by Peter J. Lineham, published 5 May 2011, reviewed & revised 8 Aug 2018