Large pastoral stations (sheep farms) dominated the land and politics of Hawke’s Bay for most of the later 19th century and continued to exert their influence into the 20th. This map shows the location of stations in 1874. Most were clustered in Central Hawke’s Bay and north towards Wairoa. Many of the names of well-known runholding families are listed, including Ormond, Russell, McLean, Nairn, Tiffen and Chambers.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: MapColl os832.3gbbd/1874/Acc.8114
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.