This map shows in red the 78 North Island properties purchased between 1896 and 1912 under the Land for Settlement Act 1894, and subsequently broken up into smaller farms. Most of the properties were on the pastoral east coasts of Wairarapa, Hawke’s Bay and Gisborne. Many were clustered in the east of the Waikato. The properties in purple were Crown lands available for settlement.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: MapColl 830gbbd/1911-12/Acc.51763
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.