This map shows in red the 119 properties in the South Island purchased before 1912 under the Land for Settlement Act 1894 and subsequently broken up into smaller farms. Most of the properties were on the east coast and were mainly sheep farms. Many were in South Canterbury and North Otago. The properties in purple were Crown lands available for settlement.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: MapColl 830gbbd/1911-12/Acc.51764
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.