From 1839, the missionary Octavius Hadfield had a mission station at Ōtaki. This 1847 sketch by Thomas Callingham (in a letter to his brother) shows a church built by Māori converts at Waikanae. The church greatly impressed Te Rauparaha, and prompted the construction of Rangiātea Church at Ōtaki.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.