This table illustrates the rapid development of more specialised shops in a rural community. In 1890, soon after its founding, Kaponga had a blacksmith, who would primarily have served the rural community, and a butcher, who would have provided meat to townspeople. By 1910 there were still some shops serving the farmers around – such as the seedman and the saddlery. However, there were also many who would have sold goods primarily to the 300–400 people who lived in Kaponga, such as the bakery, the cheesemaker, the hairdresser and jeweller.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.