In 1932 the house and grounds of James Busby, British Resident from 1833 to 1840, were gifted to the nation by the governor-general, Lord Bledisloe, and his wife. Because it was the site of the first signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, the house has become known as the Treaty House. A trust board was set up, the house was restored, and it became a historic site and the focus of treaty commemorations. This photograph shows a group of people, including Lord and Lady Bledisloe, outside the house around the time of its presentation to the people of New Zealand.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.