Story: Northland places

The Cavalli Islands

The Cavalli Islands

The Cavalli Islands north-east of Matauri Bay were named by Captain James Cook in November 1769. It is thought that the name ‘Cavalli’ refers to the fish – probably trevally - that Cook’s crew bought from Māori there.

Using this item

GNS Science
Reference: 444/21
Photograph by Lloyd Homer

Permission of GNS Science must be obtained before any use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Claudia Orange, 'Northland places - Whangaroa and district', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/7713/the-cavalli-islands (accessed 25 May 2019)

Story by Claudia Orange, updated 4 May 2015