Story: Northland places

Wesley-Dale, 1824

Wesley-Dale, 1824

Wesley-Dale was New Zealand’s first Wesleyan mission station, established at Kaeo in 1823. This watercolour was painted by Daniel Tyerman the year after the station was established, and shows the mission buildings dwarfed by the surrounding trees (probably kauri) and jagged hills.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: A-263-001
Watercolour by Daniel Tyerman

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Claudia Orange, 'Northland places - Whangaroa and district', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/7710/wesley-dale-1824 (accessed 20 May 2019)

Story by Claudia Orange, updated 4 May 2015