In the later 19th century many Pākehā objected to sharing hot pools with Māori, and separate bathing facilities were established at some springs. Māori also developed separate facilities to ensure they still had access to the waters. This was the case at Ngāwhā Springs in Northland, where in 1927 Māori acquired an acre of land for their own use, building open-air baths and some shelters. This photograph, taken in the 1950s, shows a dividing fence, with the Māori baths on the right-hand side.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.