Hot springs which bubbled up through the sandy beach at Waiwera, north of Auckland, were known to Māori long before they were developed by the Scottish entrepreneur Robert Graham. From 1875 on, he made various improvements, including bathhouses (bottom left). Towels are hanging on the washing line nearby. The large hotel further along the shore provided comfortable accommodation for visitors arriving by steamer from Auckland.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.