Te Āti Awa of Taranaki are descended from ancestors who arrived in the Tokomaru canoe. This photograph records the transfer to Taranaki Museum on 23 September 1927 of the Tokomaru anchor stone, Punga Tokomaru, and an associated adze, Poutama Whiria. The original trustees standing behind the taonga (treasures) are (from left) Nohomairangi Te Whiti of the Taranaki tribe from Parihaka, Kapinga McClutchie of Ngāti Mutunga from Waitoetoe, and Rangi Matatoru Watson of Te Āti Awa from Waitara.
Using this item
Puke Ariki - Taranaki Museum & Library
This item must not be copied or reproduced in any print or electronic media without the prior permission of Puke Ariki Museum and Library. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.