Story: Stewart Island/Rakiura

Remains of a chapel and school, Ruapuke Island, 1895

Remains of a chapel and school, Ruapuke Island, 1895

Johann Wohlers ran a Lutheran mission on Ruapuke Island from 1844 until his death in 1885. He was not replaced, probably because local people had moved from Ruapuke to Stewart Island or to the mainland, and within a few years of his death the chapel and school were in ruins.

Using this item

Hocken Library, University of Otago
Reference: S12-108d

Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Stewart Island/Rakiura - History to 1850', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/37631/remains-of-a-chapel-and-school-ruapuke-island-1895 (accessed 23 October 2019)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 13 May 2015