Māori took up tennis after it was introduced to New Zealand in the 1870s. In Hawke's Bay, Māori who worked on the large pastoral stations picked up the game after seeing it played by Pākehā runholders. Here shepherds and shearers play a game of mixed doubles at Elms Hill Station in Central Hawke's Bay in 1899, probably on a Sunday afternoon.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.