Tennis clubs allowed people to play competitively, with other members and players from other districts. This is the Inglewood Lawn Tennis Club in Taranaki in 1899. The smart little tennis pavilion contrasts with the surrounding landscape, which is still littered with felled native trees.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.