Children who accompanied their parents on shopping trips in central Auckland must have looked forward to stepping through the doors of the Farmers department store, which had a rooftop playground from 1922. Parents could shop at their leisure while the children raced around on toy cars and tricycles and explored the magical surroundings. The playground was covered over in the 1950s which meant it could be used all year round. This is the playground in the 1970s.
Using this item
Permission of the Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira must be obtained before any re-use of this image.