A purpose-built crèche was located on the top of the Wellington Railway Station between 1937 and 1941. It catered for the children of women coming into Wellington to shop and keep appointments. It cost threepence per hour and parents needed to show a public transport ticket before they could use the service. Some bought a ticket even if they didn't need to travel – the convenience afforded by the crèche was well worth the price of an unused ticket. The crèche closed in 1941 because the station rooftop was needed for war purposes. It did not re-open. In this photograph a staff member checks on a baby in the nursery section.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: AAVK W3493 C786
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence
Add new comment