The Deutsche Kirche (German Church) was opened in 1874 on the corner of Montreal and Worcester streets in central Christchurch, to meet the needs of German Lutheran migrants. The large wooden church, seen here in 1898, was confiscated by the government and its bells melted for scrap during the anti-German hysteria of the First World War. It was reconsecrated in 1923 and replaced by a larger church in 1933. In 2010 Christchurch Lutherans worshipped at St Paul's Lutheran Church in Burwood.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 12, IMG0033
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.