This pure silver beaker was made in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1854 for the father of Bishop Ditlev Monrad, a pioneer Danish Lutheran in New Zealand. It was later inscribed to the bishop's son, Viggo, on his wedding day in 1865, just before the Monrad family left for New Zealand. Viggo Monrad helped build St Luke's Lutheran Church in Palmerston North in 1882 and the beaker was used there for communion. It is now in the collection of Te Manawa museum in Palmerston North, to which it was donated by Mrs Bodil Peterson.
Using this item
Te Manawa, Collection of Te Manawa Museums Trust, Palmerston North
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.