For the first few years of its existence, Kōhuratahi received its supplies from boats on the Whanganui River, via the Tāngarākau Stream. By 1918 the settlement had a post office, dairy factory, school, railway station, store and hall. After the First World War, 11 farms near Kōhuratahi formed the Kōhura settlement – one of 10 settlements created in Taranaki for returned servicemen. In the early 2000s little remained of the village, except for the public hall and the district war memorial.
Using this item
Photograph by Ron Lambert
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.