In the entrance hall of Stratford’s old municipal chambers is one of New Zealand’s most unusual war memorials. Opened in 1920 by Edward, Prince of Wales, the hall contained framed portraits of 129 of the district’s First World War dead. In the late 1940s, 55 portraits of Second World War casualties were added. The hall remains the focus of the community’s Anzac Day ceremonies.
Using this item
Photograph by Ron Lambert
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.