Consecrated in 1921, the rough-cast concrete St John’s Peace Memorial Church was designed by Taranaki architect Frank Messenger. Its construction was paid for by Albert Burwell in memory of his wife Gertrude, who died at the age of 43 in the 1918 influenza epidemic, on Armistice Day (11 November).
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence