In January 1861 Major General Thomas Pratt, the commander of the imperial troops in Taranaki, began digging a sap (covered trench) towards Te Āti Awa’s defensive position at Te Ārei in front of Pukerangiora pā, inland of Waitara. After a few weeks, often under heavy fire, the soldiers had constructed eight earthwork redoubts, six of which were on several kilometres of trench. The end of the sap, shown here, is now in Pukerangiora historic reserve. As the soldiers reached this point, a truce was negotiated and the first Taranaki war ended.
Using this item
Photograph by Ron Lambert
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment