The Wellington destructor was located at the foot of Mt Victoria – today the site of Waitangi Park. Its twin chimneys made it a landmark. From 1908 to 1946 the city’s rubbish would arrive on horse-drawn carts and trucks, to be burnt in furnaces. Smoke also poured from factory chimneys – the air was much dirtier in New Zealand cities at this time.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.