This is the first ‘call-over’ of the Invercargill Stock Exchange on 14 October 1920. The call-over was the process used to sell shares from the late 19th century. The stocks would be read out one by one and the brokers would bid on them. It was a highly formal and slow proceeding. None of the men shown here were full-time brokers; they included accountants, real estate agents, merchants and one lawyer.
Courtesy of NZX
Using this item
Private collection, David Grant
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.