Story: Southland places

Waipapa lighthouse

Waipapa lighthouse

This lighthouse was built at Waipapa Point, south of Fortrose, three years after the wreck of the SS Tararua in nearby waters on 29 April 1881. Of the 151 on board, 131 were drowned.

Using this item

Southland Museum and Art Gallery
Reference: 129_2907

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

David Grant, 'Southland places - Bluff and the south coast', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/20168/waipapa-lighthouse (accessed 15 December 2018)

Story by David Grant, updated 25 May 2015