The Presbyterian church on Tay Street was built from local bricks between 1912 and 1915, replacing an earlier building that dated from 1863. Designed by local architect John Mair, it is the only Presbyterian church in the country in the Italo-Byzantine style – seen in northern Italian churches of the sixth to eighth centuries. The 32-metre bell tower is an Invercargill landmark.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence