Miners used water for sluicing or washing away gravels in Central Otago gold mines in the 19th century. Water races were built to lead water from nearby rivers or streams to the mine site. These Chinese miners are sluicing at the upper Kye Burn stream, now known as Kyeburn Diggings, about 1900.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.