Story: Whanganui region

Pūtiki church and Mete Kīngi’s house

Pūtiki church and Mete Kīngi’s house

The missionary Richard Taylor, who served at Pūtiki from 1843 to 1866, made this pencil and ink drawing in 1858 of the mission church at the settlement and the house of its most prominent chief, Mete Kīngi Te Rangi Paetahi. It shows fenced gardens, and elements of both European and Māori architecture in Mete Kīngi’s house.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Whanganui Historical Society
Reference: NON-ATL-0130
Photograph by Richard Taylor

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Diana Beaglehole, 'Whanganui region - European settlement, 1840–1860', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/19020/putiki-church-and-mete-kingis-house (accessed 25 May 2018)

Story by Diana Beaglehole, updated 15 Jun 2015