Story: Whanganui places

Waiōuru military camp, 1940s

Waiōuru military camp, 1940s

Waiōuru – on State Highway 1, just south-east of Mt Ruapehu – was established as an army base in 1940. Its remoteness made it suitable for large-scale military exercises – especially during the Second World War.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PAColl-6075-46

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Diana Beaglehole, 'Whanganui places - Waimarino', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/18973/waiouru-military-camp-1940s (accessed 21 May 2019)

Story by Diana Beaglehole, updated 15 Jun 2015