This factory was the home of Fleming’s Creamoata, an oatmeal porridge that was the staple breakfast for thousands of New Zealand children for much of the 20th century. The Sergeant Dan figure, seen here on the side of the building, was used to promote the product. The mill was built in 1919 and was closed in 2001 when the overseas owners shifted the operation to Australia.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence