The Spencers established a mission school at Te Wairoa, near the shores of Lake Tarawera, in 1852. In this 1859 picture, the children are holding prayer or hymn books. The Spencers closed the mission during the wars of the 1860s.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.