Mission work at Te Wairoa ceased during the 1860s wars. Twenty years later the church still stood, covered with ivy, and it was occasionally used for services. In 1886 it was destroyed by the eruption of Mt Tarawera.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.