Te Arawa and Ngāti Tūwharetoa occupied land around the Rotorua lakes and Taupō respectively. Both groups ventured further afield in the 1820s and 1830s, Te Arawa mostly to the north and east, Ngāti Tūwharetoa to the south and east. The route taken by the northern tribe Ngāpuhi when they attacked Te Arawa in 1823 is also shown.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.