The All Blacks rugby team run onto Athletic Park for the last time in June 1999. Located on a windswept hill in Berhampore, Athletic Park had been the home of Wellington rugby since 1896. Well-known to locals was the open-topped Millard stand, which gave a good view but required fortitude in a southerly storm. With the opening of Westpac Stadium, Athletic Park closed and its Māori owners (the Wellington Tenths Trust) used the site for a retirement village.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.