Wellington’s first Anglican cathedral, Old St Paul’s, is a splendid example of the Gothic Revival style. Designed by Reverend Frederick Thatcher and constructed in 1866, the building has ornate stained glass windows and warm native timbers. It was nearly demolished 100 years later when the city’s new cathedral was dedicated nearby. After public protest the government bought the building in 1967 and vested it in the New Zealand Historic Places Trust. The church is mainly used for weddings, funerals and cultural events.
Using this item
Photograph by Chris Maclean
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.