Featherston’s Anzac Club hall was built by residents in 1916, during the First World War, as a gesture of appreciation to soldiers at the nearby military camp. The club was designed to entertain soldiers and ‘save them from the pitfalls of the towns and cities’. Facilities included a concert hall, bar, billiard tables, and reading and writing rooms. The building’s interior is architecturally ornate, featuring native timbers and pressed zinc panelling. Today it is a registered historic place.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Shirley Williams
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence