In the 19th century Wairarapa’s wealthy often sent their children to private schools in Britain. In the 20th century, churches in Masterton established private schools based on the British model. St Matthew’s Collegiate School for girls was opened by the Anglican church in 1914. It is one of three Wairarapa schools owned by the Trinity Schools’ Trust Board. The others are Hadlow Preparatory School and Rathkeale College.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.