A crowd gathers at the opening of the Aotea and Te Waipounamu buildings at Pāpāwai marae, near Greytown, in 1897. Premier Richard Seddon is at far left in the front row (in top hat). The seat of the Māori parliament in the 1890s, the marae hosted a number of large hui (meetings).
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.