In January 1896, Ngāti Kahungunu gifted Lakes Wairarapa and Ōnoke to the Crown. Here the tribe signs over the title deed. In return the Crown paid them £2,000 and set aside an inadequate land reserve in Waikato.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.