Polish immigrants to New Zealand in the 19th and early 20th centuries settled mostly in rural areas. At Waihola, south of Dunedin, they built the small Church of Mary Queen of Peace. By the mid-1900s most Polish New Zealanders were living in cities and towns rather than in rural areas, and the church was moved to Broad Bay near Dunedin in 1948. More recently, Dunedin’s Polish families have restored the church, one of the few tangible links with 19th-century Polish settlement in New Zealand.
Using this item
Photograph by Kate Tilbury
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.