This was one of the first cars to drive from Timaru to the Hermitage at Aoraki/Mt Cook in 1906. The party used two cars, one driven by John Rutherford and the other by Rodolph Wigley. The trip showed the district’s potential as a tourist destination, and led Wigley to found the Mt Cook Tourist Company. In 2006 a commemorative rally re-enacted the journey.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.