In the South Island, the three provinces were Nelson, Canterbury and Otago. By the end of the 1860s Southland had split away from Otago, and Marlborough from Nelson. In 1870 Southland gave up its attempt to go it alone and rejoined Otago. Westland was a county from 1868 and became a full province only in 1873.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Map by W. & A. K. Johnston
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.