Pākehā settlement of Whanganui’s hinterland started, slowly, in the 1850s. Between 1870 and 1910 it expanded rapidly east, west and north from Whanganui. The forested inland areas along the North Island main trunk railway line were among the last to be opened up.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.