Story: History of immigration

Mission stations to 1845, northern New Zealand

Mission stations to 1845, northern New Zealand

During the 1830s missionary influence grew among Māori. This map shows the location of Church Missionary Society (Anglican) stations, along with those of the Wesleyans (Methodists) and Catholics.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

Source: Judith Binney, Judith Bassett, and Erik Olssen, The people and the land. Wellington: Allen & Unwin, 1990, p. 23

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Jock Phillips, 'History of immigration - A growing settlement: 1825 to 1839', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/map/1557/mission-stations-to-1845-northern-new-zealand (accessed 28 February 2020)

Story by Jock Phillips, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 1 Aug 2015