Wairau Bar, at the mouth of the Wairau River in Marlborough, is one of the oldest archaeological sites in New Zealand. Artefacts have been radiocarbon dated to around 1300 AD. This view from the air gives an overall impression of the site, and the pop-up image shows excavations being undertaken by the Canterbury Museum Archaeological Group in January 1964.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by Kevin Jones
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.